The New Energon Universe Launch Earns Second Printing with Five New Variant Covers
LOS ANGELES 10/02/2023 — Today Skybound, in collaboration with leading toy and game company Hasbro, announced that TRANSFORMERS #1, the debut issue of writer/artist Daniel Warren Johnson’s massively anticipated series, has sold out at the distributor level days before its release at comic book shops. The second launch in the all-new Energon Universe, TRANSFORMERS #1 will return with five commemorative second printing covers, available in comic book shops beginning November 1, 2023.
TRANSFORMERS #1 begins a brand-new era for the iconic TRANSFORMERS franchise from Daniel Warren Johnson (Extremity, Do a Powerbomb, DC’s Wonder Woman: Dead Earth) and colorist Mike Spicer (Stillwater, Murder Falcon). Optimus Prime was supposed to have led the Autobots to victory. Instead, the fate of Cybertron is unknown, and his allies have crash-landed far from home, alongside their enemies—the Decepticons. As these titanic forces renew their war on Earth, one thing is immediately clear: the planet will never be the same. New alliances are struck. Battle lines are redrawn. Humanity’s only hope for survival is Optimus Prime and the Autobots.
The issue will return with five brand-new second printing variant covers:
- Covers A & B, drawn by Jason Howard, spotlight the iconic Optimus Prime and Starscream respectively.
- Covers C & D, drawn by Lewis LaRosa, respectively feature Johnson’s Autobot and Decepticon teams.
- A special spoiler Cover E, drawn by Greg Tocchini.
The Energon Universe officially began in June 2023 with the surprise first appearance of iconic TRANSFORMERS character Jetfire in Void Rivals #1, introducing the historic new collaboration between Hasbro and Skybound, with TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE comics finding a new home with the publisher. The Energon Universe expands in December with Duke #1, a limited series from Joshua Williamson (DC’s Superman, Dark Ride), Tom Reilly (The Thing) and Jordie Bellaire (W0rldtr33). This will be followed by the launch of Cobra Commander #1 in January 2024, from Joshua Williamson, Andrea Milana (Impact Winter: Rook) and Annalisa Leoni (Oblivion Song).
TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing (Lunar Codes Below | $4.99) will be available at comic book shops and digital platforms including Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, comiXology, and Google Play on Wednesday, November 1, 2023.
The new covers available include:
- TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing Cover A by Jason Howard (Optimus Prime) (0923IM824)
- TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing Cover B by Jason Howard (Starscream) (0923IM825)
- TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing Cover C by Lewis LaRosa (Autobots) (0923IM826)
- TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing Cover D by Lewis LaRosa (Decepticons) (0923IM827)
- TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing Cover E by Greg Tocchini (Spoiler Cover) (0923IM828)
TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing Cover A by Jason Howard (Optimus Prime)
TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing Cover B by Jason Howard (Starscream)
TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing Cover C by Lewis LaRosa (Autobots)
TRANSFORMERS #1 Second Printing Cover D by Lewis LaRosa (Decepticons)